Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Fossil stratigraphy from middle devonian to mississippian periods?

I'm trying to find fish fossils in Pendleton County, West Virginia. I've found a rock quarry that might extend from middle devonian to early mississippian periods. I'm not for sure but it appears to have a yellow colored sandstone overlying a large bed of dark, nearly black, limestone. This limestone contains brachiopods. From the material gathered on the slope below the cliff, the rocks above must have crinoids fragments preserved in black calcite. These are nice slabs of crinoid fragments. Believe that there was fish swimming the seas of this area back then and I'm almost certain that numerous specimens became fossilized in these rocks. What rocks do you expect would be the best to search? I'm thinking somewhere in the the sandstone. Are there any sites that tell me what the stratigraphy is of this area?

0 comments:

Post a Comment